English and American Literature
Finding Books and Journals
- A large number of our journals are available as e-only.
- Current print issues of many literary journals are in the Current Periodicals area on M-level, shelved in the shelves by call number.
- Some current issues are shelved in the shelves, as are recent older issues.
- Print copies of older issues may also be stored at the Libraries Service Center. You can request the journal issue be brought to the library for pick-up or you can request a free scan of the article.
- Find the call numbers you need by searching Catalyst by journal title and limit format to "journal/newspaper."
- If we do not have access to an article you need, you can request a copy for free via ILL.
Literary works can be found in the shelves of the Eisenhower Library in the call number ranges below.
The Blue Label Section of D-level covers publication dates from 1961 to present.
|Latin American||PQ 7000-8560|
|Caribbean, African, Indian||PR 9205-9570|
|Chinese||PL 2261- 2979|
The White Label Section of D-level covers works published before 1961.
|Latin American||PJ 7000-8560|
|Caribbean, African, Indian||PO 9205-9570|
Many of our collections are shelved off-campus, at the Libraries Service Center. You can request these books using Catalyst--if the book you want is at the LSC, just click on the "request" button, and the book will be delivered to your designated location. You'll get an email when it arrives.
Books and periodicals published before 1900, rare books, and fragile materials are kept in Special Collections and generally must be used in our M-level Reading room located in the Brody Learning Commons or the George Peabody Library at 17 East Mount Vernon Place.
- McNaughton Plan books on M-level, under the stairs.
- Recent bestsellers are there, both fiction and non-fiction.
- Books are available for a 2-week checkout (with one renewal).