East Asian Studies
Explore library resources for East Asia related research.
Sources from China
China After 1949
- 中国学术期刊-China Academic Journal Full Text Online(CAJ)
Full text database of Chinese academic journal articles.
A full text search engine of 3 million Chinese books, articles, and more. JHU users have full access to 700,000 full text Chinese books published in mainland China from 1940s to present. For other titles, we can request for content 50 pages at a time. Please contact the librarian for details.
- 中国学术论文库-Dissertations of China
- 中国当代政治运动史数据库Databases of the History of Contemporary Chinese Political Movements
Includes primary source materials relating to the Chinese Anti-Rightist Campaign (1957–), the Chinese Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), the Great Leap Forward and the Great Famine (1958-1962), and the Political Campaigns in the 1950s from Land Reform to Public-Private Cooperation (1949-1956).
- 人民日报-People's Daily （1945-present）
- 国家哲学社会科学学术期刊数据库(National Social Science Database)
An open access database from Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) that covers core journals in social sciences.
- 万方新方志数据库 China Local Gazetteers(Modern/Contemporary)
- China Data Online
Statistical data from China, including economic and census data and statistical yearbooks.
- China Statistical Yearbooks Database
The largest and continuously updated statistical yearbooks database in China, including all aspects and fields. Coverage is 1949-current.
- Chinese Economy, Public Policy and Security Database: Pishu
Includes up to date think tank and government reports from China on a wide range of social, economic, and political issues.
- National Population Census of China Database
Includes census data from 2010, 2000, 1990, and 1982.
China Before 1949
- 申报（电子版）-Shenbao (1872-1949)
- 大成老旧刊全文全文数据库 Dacheng Old Journals Database
- 大成故纸堆（Trial access to full Dacheng content including books, newspapers, old local gazetteers)
- 万方新方志数据库 China Local Gazetteers (Historical)
- 中国基本古籍库(trial access)
- 漢籍全文資料庫Scripta Sinica
[Click on 授权使用 to access]
- 內閣大庫檔案Grand Secretariat Archives
[Click on 授权使用 to access; email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for user id and password]
- 四库全书-Siku Quanshu Online
Needs to download the reader software on your computer first (link here).
- 华艺中文电子书AiritisBooks (Taiwan) (Hopkins User Only)
Selected titles are purchased for JHU users.
- Taiwan Electronic Books
Free access to Taiwan e-books courtesy of National Central Library, Taiwan.
- Taiwan Electronic Periodicals Service
Index search of over 900 Taiwan academic journals, now offered through Airitis. Search is free but need to pay for full text.
- Taiwan Theses and Dissertations
Over 945,000 bid records with more than 358,000 authorized free access PDF as of March, 2016. Free login needed to download full text PDF.
Sources from Japan
- Japan Knowledge (JHU User Only)
Contains Shogakukan daihyakka zensho and Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan, along with a range of dictionaries.
- Japan Times Digital Archives 1897-2015 (JHU User Only)
The oldest English-language newspaper in Japan by Japanese publishers, Japan Times maintained editorial independence for much of its history, though it was used by the government as a propaganda tool for Imperial Japan during World War II. The digital archive allows you to search the full text of all issues of The Japan Times published between March 1897 and 2014.
- Magazine Plus (JHU User Only)
Includes all of the scholarly periodicals from NDL's Zassaku (1975-present), plus popular magazines (monthlies and weeklies including sports and hobbies) indexed in Jaanaru indekkesu from 1981-present, as well as 1300 Japanese economic and business magazines from 1981, and 60 overseas business magazines from 1984-present. Magazine Plus allows just one user to search at a time. Please Logout when you are finished.
- The Oriental Economist (Trial access)
Includes full text archive of the English language magazine in Japan covering the years from 1934 to 1985.
- Yomidas Rekishikan (JHU User Only)
Includes the full text of the Yomiuri Shinbun from its initial publication in 1874 to date, as well as full text of the Daily Yomiuri, its English language equivalent, and a biographical dictionary of modern Japanese figures. Articles are keyword indexed to 8/31/1986, and can be searched full-text from 9/1/1986 to present.
- Zasshi siji sakuin (JHU User Only)
The complete database for Japanese magazines and periodicals from Meiji era to present.
Open Access Sources
Citation information for both articles and books. Books include holdings information for Japanese libraries.
- Gordon W. Prange Collection at University of Maryland
It is the most comprehensive archive in the world of Japanese print publications issued during the early years of the Occupation of Japan, 1945-1949.
- National Diet Library Digital Collections
- National Diet Library Digital Library from the Meiji Era
Full-text of 240,000 of 570,000 volumes held by the National Diet Library published in Japan between 1868 and 1945.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records アジア歴史資料センタ: (Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English)
Historical records about modern Japan-Asia relations held by Japanese national institutions.
- Japan Statistical Yearbook
Covers all fields of statistics published by government and private institutions.
- Japanese Institutional Repositories Online
Offers cross-sectional search among academic information accumulated in Japanese institutional repositories, such as journal articles, theses or dissertations, departmental bulletin papers, research papers, etc.
- Japanese Literature in Translation
This database helps find translations of Japanese literary works into many languages.
- Japanese Studies Subject Guide Portal
A hub for Japan-related research and study guides sorted by academic discipline, courtesy of NCC (North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources).
Sources from Koreas
- DBpia: South Korean academic journals. (Trial access)
- KRpia: South Korean primary sources. (Trial access)
- NK News Pro (JHU Users Only)
It is a suite of research resources and tools designed for professionals working on the subject of North Korea. It includes latest news on and from North Korea, specialist analysis and reports as well as proprietary research tools and databases.
Open Access Sources
- KOSSDA (Korean Social Science Data Archive) 한국사회과학자료원
Provides Korea-related social science data such as survey and statistical data, as well as interviews, qualitative data, and archives of a range of materials in Korean language. Free if you access via the Korea Foundation website. Needs to log in the Korea Foundation.
- KOSIS 국가통계포털 (Korean statistical Information Service)
The official government statistics information site for various national and international statistical information, including regional statistics, operated by Statistics Korea (통계청).