If you want to show someone what you have in a folder or your entire account, you can share with them. This will give them the ability to:
- see your references
- select some or all of those references
- print out your references.
They cannot edit, delete, or add to your folder or account.
- Go to the Organize & Share Folders tab.
- You will see a list of your folders. At the top of the list is the Share Entire Database option.
- To share the entire database or a folder, click on the folder icon furthest to the right. If you have already shared it, the folder icon will also have a person's head. If you haven't shared it, there will be a green arrow on the folder icon.
- Click on the appropriate folder icon. You'll be asked if you wish to share. Say Yes.
- A popup appears with several options for sharing. They are described below.
Shared Folder Options
- Share Information: Gives you a permanent URL for the folder. You can give this a new name and provide some more information for the people you're sharing with.
- Share Options: You can choose to let everyone at JHU see your folder in RefShare. You can also create an RSS feed for the folder, so that those you've shared with will know when you add new references. Leave the OpenURL option set to Site Defined OpenURL. This allows JHU FindIT links to display.
- Limitations: Lets you limit the number of references others can print, export, or put in a bibliography. You can also allow/disallow the ability to comment on references, show RSS feeds, enable email to you, and show or not show attachments. The default is to not show attachments.
- Output Style Options: Provides several options for what groups of output styles sharers can use.
- Fields to Share: The defaults is set to share all the fields available. You can alter this if there are, for example, notes fields you don't want others to see.
Remember to save your changes at the bottom of the popup. You can also return everything to the default setting.
An Already Shared Folder
If you have already shared a folder and click on the folder icon with a head, you'll have a few options.
- Share Link: Opens your shared folder. You can view it and copy the permanent URL.
- Remove Share: Stops any sharing you have allowed for that folder. No one with the link will be able to see the folder any longer.
- Shared Folder Options: Takes you back to the full set of options described above.
- Email this Share: An email with the link and some canned text is provided for you to send to colleagues you wish to share with. You can edit the text if you wish.