Finding and using electronic books from the JHU libraries..
- Your Public Library
- Free E-book Sites, A - G
- Free E-book Sites, H - L
- Free E-book Sites, M - Z
- Non-English Free E-books
Your public library has tons of e-books available for free!
This list is arranged alphabetically by language.
- Belarusian e-Library: http://knihi.com Literature in Belarusian, with some English, German, and other languages.
- Classical Chinese Literature: http://zhongwen.com/gudian.htm "This site contains Chinese classics with each character hyperlinked to its definition and etymology." No special software is necessary because the characters are displayed as images. Most works have links to English translations.
- New Threads Chinese Cultural Society: http://www.xys.org Electronic library archive of Chinese classic texts.
- Athena Texts Francais: http://un2sg4.unige.ch/athena/ About 10,000 e-books by French and Swiss authors in literature, philosophy, history, economics, and science, among other topics.
- Bibliothèque nationale de France (National Library of France): http://gallica.bnf.fr More than 2,500 digitized works.
- ngiyaw eBooks: German works with some classic English and Hungarian books also. Formats include: .pdf, .prc, .lit, .tr), and HTML.
- Digital Library of India: Over 29,000 books predominantly in Indian languages.
MORE THAN ONE LANGUAGE
- Europeana: Access to millions of digitized items from European museums, libraries, and archives.
Search for the author or title of a book, and on the left side, narrow results by file type (“text”) and by copyright (“public domain marked”).
- Projecti Lonnrot: Finnish and Swedish.
- Wolne: Over 2,300 titles available, which you can read online or download in epub, mobi, or PDF.