GIS and Maps
Workshops and Individual Training
- Library staff can provide GIS workshops tailored to your Johns Hopkins class or group's interests. We offer one-time introductory class or multiple-sessions offered over several days. We'll work with your schedule. Contact our group e-mail at DataServices@jhu.edu. and we'll develop the training that's right for you.
- GIS library staff schedule workshops, in the MSE Library, on many GIS topics throughout each semester. These workshops are open to all JHU affilliates. Find out what is being offered and register here.
- Several times per year GIS library staff in association with the Welch Medical Library offer ArcGIS training. Class offerings and registration information can be found at the Welch Medical Library Classes page.
- GIS library staff are available for one-on-one training so please contact us at DataServices@jhu.edu. to set up an appointment.
WEB Based Training
Johns Hopkins users are authorized for free unlimited access to ESRI Web courses, Training Seminars, and SpatialLABS listed in the ESRI’s Training Catalog (www.esri.com/training).
To access available training:
- Make an initial sign in to our Johns Hopkins ArcGIS Online at this link https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com. You'll be prompted for your JHED ID and password.
- After your initial sign in to ArcGIS Online, open a new web browser and navigate to the Esri Training page www.esri.com/training
-Once at the training page, click Sign In -- at the top right on the screen. Then:
-In the new pop-up window click "Sign in with ENTERPRISE ACCOUNT". At the next screen:
-Type gisanddata in the "Enter your ArcGIS organization URL below" box.
-When prompted enter your JHED ID and password.
- Once signed in "Explore Our Courses" by topic or keyword.
NOTE: ESRI’s “Instructor-Led” courses and “Books” are not included in our library subscription.
Choosing your ESRI E-Learning Courses
Those new to GIS may find the ESRI Training Catalog a bit overwhelming. Click the down arrow next to the Catalog tab and select Find Training. When looking for introductory classes type New User in the search box and select the filter “Web Course”. Three of the most popular introductory course are:
- Getting Started with GIS
- Getting Stared with ArcGIS Pro
- Using GIS to Solve Problems
MOOCs and Other Learning Sites
If you prefer training via a MOOC environment (Massive Open Online Courses, take a look at ESRI’s ongoing GIS MOOCs at www.esri.com/mooc. Coming up:
- Cartography: Become a Smarter Mapmaker (September 5 - October 17, 2018)
- The Location Advantage (dates to be announced)
- Do-It-Yourself Geo Apps ((September 5 - October 16, 2018)
- Going Places with Spatial Analysis (Season 2) (October 31 - December 11, 2018)
Other Learning and Sharing Sites: