Visual Resources Collection
Explore resources related to finding and using images for teaching in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences. Includes information on using Artstor.
Digital Images from Museum Collections
Many museums make digital images of objects in their collections freely available for personal use, teaching, and academic publications.
Many institutions require registration; be sure to read the fine print.
Free Images for Scholarly Use
Selected Museums with Searchable Online Collections
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Baltimore Museum of Art
- Boston Museum of Fine Arts
- British Library Digitised Manuscripts
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Gallica (Gallica is the digital library of the Bibliothèque nationale de France and its partners.)
- Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog (The collections of the Prints & Photographs Division include photographs, fine and popular prints and drawings, posters, and architectural and engineering drawings. Rights assessment is your responsibility.)
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Morgan Library & Museum (Pierpont Morgan's immense holdings ranged from Egyptian art to Renaissance paintings to Chinese porcelains. For his library, Morgan acquired illuminated, literary, and historical manuscripts, early printed books, and old master drawings and prints.)
- Museum of Modern Art, New York (MoMA)
- New York Public Library Digital Gallery
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence
- Walters Art Museum