Visual Resources Collection
Guidelines and Codes of Best Practices for Images
Navigating the world of copyright and image use can be difficult, even for experts! The VRC recommends the following resources:
- The Visual Resources Association's Statement on Fair Use of Images for Teaching, Research, and Study
- The College Art Association's Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for the Visual Arts
- The Visual Resources Association's Intellectual Property Rights Committee has links to many resources about copyright and image use. For example, the Digital Image Rights Computator will help you determine the intellectual property status of a specific image.
- Art Libraries Society of North America's Fair Use in the Visual Arts: Lesson Plans for Librarians
While not strictly about images, the VRC also recommends
- The American Library Association's Fair Use page
- The Documentary Filmmakers's Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use
- The Center for Media & Social Impact's Codes of Best Practices
- Thinking Through Fair Use, University of Minnesota Libraries
For guidelines for using images from Artstor, visit their Copyright and Image Use in the Artstor Digital Library guide.