Documenting Research Data
This guide is a collection of resources shared in Data Services' "Documenting Your Research Data" online modules
Data Services Profile
We are here to help you find, use, manage, visualize and share your data. Contact us to schedule a consultation. View and register for upcoming workshops. Visit our website to learn more about our services.
Ask a Data Services Specialist a Question
Spring 2023 Chat Hours
Monday -Thursday 10am-5pm
Chat will be closed for Spring Break starting March 16 at 5pm and will reopen March 27th at 10am...
What are Geospatial Data ?
- Types of GIS Data Explored: Vector and Raster: Overview of the two main types of geospatial data, including helpful images that demonstrate the differences.
- The Geospatial Concepts Libguide created by us, Data Services, provides succinct definitions for GIS and geospatial data.
General References on Geospatial Data Documentation
- Introduction to Geospatial Resources and Formats: The Library of Congress has guidance on what to document about your geospatial data and why it is important to do so.
- Create and Manage Metadata in ArcGIS Pro: ESRI blog on how to create documentation for your geospatial data in ArcGIS Pro.
- Metadata: ESRI documentation on how to create, edit, and view metadata in ArcGIS Online.
Geospatial Metadata Standards and Formats
- Geospatial Metadata Standards and Guidelines: This Federal Geographic Data Committee webpage contains links to important information on geospatial metadata standards and guidelines.
- OpenGeoMetadata: The OGM Aardvark metadata standard is widely used by geospatial data repositories.