Incarceration in the United States
- The Press in Prison byISBN: 9781642598940Publication Date: 2022-08-02The Press in Prison is a Scalawag Media guidebook for journalists. Illuminating the need for incarcerated voices in journalism, this guide is intended to increase newsroom competency and capacity to work with writers on the inside, integrating reporting from prison into regular reporting cycles.
- Jailhouse Journalism byISBN: 0786404205A history of the penal press, the journalists, and the impact they have had on American's prisons.
- Inside Story“Inside Story,” produced by the Marshall Project and Vice News, reports on crime and punishment from the perspective of former prisoners.
- American prison newspapers, 1800-2020 : voices from the insideOn March 24, 1800, Forlorn Hope became the first newspaper published within a prison by an incarcerated person. In the intervening 200 years, over 450 prison newspapers have been published from U.S. prisons. Some, like the Angolite and the San Quentin News, are still being published today. American Prison Newspapers will bring together hundreds of these periodicals from across the country into one collection that will represent penal institutions of all kinds, with special attention paid to women's-only institutions. Development of the collection began in July 2020 and will continue through 2021, with new content added regularly.
- Prison Journalism ProjectPrison Journalism Project provides incarcerated writers with the tools and training to establish themselves as credible journalists, so they can meaningfully particiapte in the decision making processes that impact them and their communities.