East Asian Studies
Explore library resources for East Asia related research.
Sources from China
- 法信 (网址：http://www.faxin.cn 测试账号：zhongtu 密码：zhongtu)
包括：最高人民法院司法解释（解释、规定、批复、决定）； 最高人民法院司法指导性文件； 最高人民法院司法政务文件； 最高人民法院司法解释送审稿； 最高人民法院司法解释草案； 最高人民法院司法解释解读； 最高人民法院官方问答、解答； 最高人民法院各类会议纪要； 最高人民法院领导讲话； 最高人民法院司法白皮书； 最高人民法院新闻发布会文件； 司法调研文件； 司法数据文件。
包括：《最高人民法院公报》案例； 最高人民法院公布的典型案例； 《最高人民法院审判指导参考系列》《人民法院案例选》等最高人民法院及各业务庭室汇编、出版的案例； 地方各级法院发布参阅、指导案例； 地方各级法院审判刊物刊载案例； 全国各级法院网站公布典型案例。
《法信》平台独家收录人民法院出版社出版的最高人民法院司法解释理解适用与司法观点： 最高人民法院司法解释条文理解与适用系列； 最高人民法院审判指导与参考系列； 最高人民法院最新法律文件解读系列； 最高人民法院司法观点集成系列。
China After 1949
Includes 10k+ ebooks published by major publishers in China covering various topics on contemporary and Republic Era China.
A full text search engine of 3 million Chinese books, articles, and more. JHU users have full access to 700,000 full text Chinese books published in mainland China from 1940s to present. For other titles, we can request for content 50 pages at a time. Please contact the librarian for details.
- 中国学术期刊全文数据库-China Academic Journal Full Text Online(CAJ)
Full text database of Chinese academic journal articles.
- 中国学术辑刊全文数据库-China Monographic Series Full Text Online
Includes Chinese Monographic Series published since 1979 regularly or irregularly by academic institutions in the PRC.. JHU has access to 4 groups (series) of monographs from CNKI. They are Literature/History/Philosophy, Politics/Military Affairs/Law, Education & Socials Sciences, and Economics & Management.
- 人民日报-People's Daily （1945-present）
- 中国重要报纸全文数据库-China Core Newspaper Full Text Database (2000 onward)
Includes national and provincial newspapers such as People's Daily, Guanming Daily, Jie fang jun Bao.
- 中国政报公报期刊文献总库-China Government Gazettes Full Text Online
Includes a comprehensive collection of government gazettes, bulletins, announcements, and proclamations. It also contains national and local laws and regulations from Chinese government departments at all levels and is updated frequently. The coverage is mostly after 1994, with some titles dating back to the first issue.
Includes up to date think tank and government reports from China on a wide range of social, economic, and political issues.
- 万方新方志数据库 China Local Gazetteers(Modern/Contemporary)
- 中国当代政治运动史数据库-Databases of the History of Contemporary Chinese Political Movements
Includes primary source materials relating to the Chinese Anti-Rightist Campaign (1957–), the Chinese Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), the Great Leap Forward and the Great Famine (1958-1962), and the Political Campaigns in the 1950s from Land Reform to Public-Private Cooperation (1949-1956).
- EPS数据平台 (EPS China Statistics) (Chinese/English)
EPS China Statistics presents series statistical databases on China, which are sourced from industrial, regional and national organizations, and covers various subjects, industries, fields and all regions of China.
China Before 1949
- 爱如生中国基本古籍数据库-Database of China Classics Ancient Books
- 爱如生中国(古代)方志库（初级，二集)-China Ancient Local Gazetteers (960-1949)
Needs to download the reader software on your computer first (link here).
- 漢籍全文資料庫Scripta Sinica
- [Click on 授权使用 to access]
- 內閣大庫檔案Grand Secretariat Archives
[Click on 授权使用 to access]
[We also own 清宫内务府造办档案总汇 55 volumes (digital file) , 清代军机处随手登记档 180 volumes(in print), 黑图档康熙朝 (56 volumes (in print). Contact East Asian Studies Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org for information]
- 华艺中文电子书 AiritisBooks (Taiwan)
Selected titles are purchased for JHU users.
- Taiwan Electronic Books
Free access to Taiwan e-books courtesy of National Central Library, Taiwan.
- Taiwan Electronic Periodicals Service
Index search of over 900 Taiwan academic journals, now offered through Airitis. Search is free but need to pay for full text.
- Taiwan Theses and Dissertations
Over 945,000 bid records with more than 358,000 authorized free access PDF as of March, 2016. Free login needed to download full text PDF.
Sources from Japan
- Japan Knowledge (JHU User Only)
Contains a wide range of literary and popular culture primary sources and reference materials including Shogakukan daihyakka zensho and Kodansha Encyclopedia of Japan.
- Japan Times Digital Archives 1897-2015 (JHU User Only)
The oldest English-language newspaper in Japan by Japanese publishers, Japan Times maintained editorial independence for much of its history, though it was used by the government as a propaganda tool for Imperial Japan during World War II. The digital archive allows you to search the full text of all issues of The Japan Times published between March 1897 and 2014.
- Magazine Plus (JHU User Only)
Includes all of the scholarly periodicals from NDL's Zassaku (1975-present), plus popular magazines (monthlies and weeklies including sports and hobbies) indexed in Jaanaru indekkesu from 1981-present, as well as 1300 Japanese economic and business magazines from 1981, and 60 overseas business magazines from 1984-present. Magazine Plus allows just one user to search at a time. Please Logout when you are finished.
- The Oriental Economist (JHU User Only)
Includes full text archive of the English language magazine in Japan covering the years from 1934 to 1985.
- Yomidas Rekishikan (JHU User Only)
Includes the full text of the Yomiuri Shinbun from its initial publication in 1874 to date, as well as full text of the Daily Yomiuri, its English language equivalent, and a biographical dictionary of modern Japanese figures. Articles are keyword indexed to 8/31/1986, and can be searched full-text from 9/1/1986 to present.
- Zasshi kiji sakuin (JHU User Only)
The complete database for Japanese magazines and periodicals from Meiji era to present.
Open Access Sources
Citation information for both articles and books. Books include holdings information for Japanese libraries.
- Gordon W. Prange Collection at University of Maryland
It is the most comprehensive archive in the world of Japanese print publications issued during the early years of the Occupation of Japan, 1945-1949.
- National Diet Library Digital Collections
- National Diet Library Digital Library from the Meiji Era
Full-text of 240,000 of 570,000 volumes held by the National Diet Library published in Japan between 1868 and 1945.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records アジア歴史資料センタ: (Japanese, Chinese, Korean and English)
Historical records about modern Japan-Asia relations held by Japanese national institutions.
- Japan Statistical Yearbook
Covers all fields of statistics published by government and private institutions.
- Japanese Institutional Repositories Online
Offers cross-sectional search among academic information accumulated in Japanese institutional repositories, such as journal articles, theses or dissertations, departmental bulletin papers, research papers, etc.
- Japanese Literature in Translation
This database helps find translations of Japanese literary works into many languages.
- Japanese Studies Subject Guide Portal
A hub for Japan-related research and study guides sorted by academic discipline, courtesy of NCC (North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources).
Sources from Koreas
- DBpia: South Korean academic journals. (JHU users only)
- KRpia: South Korean primary sources. (JHU users only)
- KCI: Korean Journal Database (part of Web of Science) (JHU users only)
- NK News Pro (JHU Users Only)
It is a suite of research resources and tools designed for professionals working on the subject of North Korea. It includes latest news on and from North Korea, specialist analysis and reports as well as proprietary research tools and databases.
Open Access Sources
- KOSSDA (Korean Social Science Data Archive) 한국사회과학자료원
Provides Korea-related social science data such as survey and statistical data, as well as interviews, qualitative data, and archives of a range of materials in Korean language. Free if you access via the Korea Foundation website. Needs to log in the Korea Foundation.
- KOSIS 국가통계포털 (Korean statistical Information Service)
The official government statistics information site for various national and international statistical information, including regional statistics, operated by Statistics Korea (통계청).