- Guide to Public Performance Rights for Library MaterialsFrom Williams College
- Copyright on Campus: Showing MoviesFrom the Smathers Library, University of Florida.
- AV Copyright GuideFrom Haverford College Audiovisual Services
- Public Domain FilmsFrom Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting, & Recorded Sound Division
- Copyright Advisory NetworkFrom the American Library Association
- Crash Course in CopyrightFrom University of Texas, Austin
Public Performance FAQ and Definitions
What are Public Performance Rights (PPR)?
Copyrighted films (and this is most of them) are not automatically licensed for public performance (this means showing a movie/film in a dorm, auditorium, or any other kind of public space). The only legal exception to this rule is if an instructor shows the video/dvd in a classroom and that the activity is for teaching.
Do the JHU Libraries purchase films with Public Performance Rights?
Due to the extra cost and the fact that we are an academic institution, the Library usually does not purchase films with PPR. Some publishers and distributors (e.g., Films for the Humanities, Film Movement) do make PPR available free of charge so these films may be shown anywhere/anytime, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
Search the JHU Libraries Catalog
Finding Library Holdings with PPR
Films for which the library acquired Public Performance Rights (PPR) have notes stating public performance rights granted.
So, to find videos that the library owns that include PPR, search public performance rights granted as general keywords in the online catalog. You may also add other keywords to your search to find materials on a particular topic of by a particular filmmaker.
If you want to show a copyrighted film in a public setting, you will need to contact the company that holds copyright for the film; below are some of the most prominent film distributors that manage public licensing.
- Swank Motion Pictures, Inc.1-800-876-5577
- Janus Films212-756-8822
- Kino Lorber1-800-562-3330
- New Yorker Films1-800-247-6200