Tips & Tricks
1. Use truncation or stemming to find words with varying endings:
theater, theatre, theatrical
Characters used vary by database; the most common are *, #, !, or ?. Look for "Help" to find which character to use.
2. Use wildcards to find words that vary by a single letter:
Look for "Help" to find which character to use.
Here are some book series with examples of excellent writing:
- Best American Science Writing -- 2000 to present
- Best American Political Writing -- 2004-2009
- Best American Travel Writing -- 2010-2011
There are several others series like these, too.
The easiest way to find books about writing is to go to the library catalog, and put the words best and writing in the TITLE.
What Do You Need?
Combining Search Words
Use "AND" to narrow your search (usually by combining terms representing different concepts).
Use "OR" to broaden your search (usually by combining synonyms or terms related to the same concept).
What are effective methods for teaching reading to students with ADHD?
(attention deficit disorders OR attention deficit hyperactivity disorder OR ADHD)
(teaching methods OR classroom techniques)
To see this technique in action, watch the below video by emilyatchemlib: