Documenting Research Data
This guide is a collection of resources shared in Data Services' "Documenting Your Research Data" online modules
General, Overview-Style Resources on Data Documentation
- Data Management for Researchers: Organize, maintain and share your data for research success: This guide to research data management provides practical examples on research documentation and organization.
- USGS Data Management Website - Describe: The United States Geological Survey website contains guidance on what are metadata (documentation) and how to create it, including through the use of data dictionaries.
- Managing Qualitative Data Module from the Social Science Research Council and the Qualitative Data Repository: interactive lessons on the principles of data documentation and documentation in practice. While oriented towards social science, the advice is general enough to be useful for all types of research.
- Cessda Data Management Expert Guide: Using tabular data sets as examples, free training module on how to document data at both the project and data set level.
Types of Documentation
- Codebook Cookbook: Practical guidance on how to create a codebook using Excel examples.
- Data Dictionaries: Created by the USGS, educational overview of data dictionaries including multiple examples.
- README Files: