Explore library resources related to biology.
Open Access Discounts
Several of the larger OA publishers ask authors to pay an article processing charge to cover the costs of publishing. Discounts to authors are available when an institution becomes a member of the publisher's program.
JHU authors can currently get a discount from
See this page for more information.
Here are some guides that can help with different parts of your writing process.
- Citing SourcesUsing APA, MLA, Chicago, and other styles.
- RefWorksHow to install, use, and get help with the main citation manager provided and supported by JHU.
- Writing Literature ReviewsHow to Find, Evaluate, Summarize, Synthesize, and Integrate when you're writing a literature review.
- Writing ResourcesInformation about how to develop a topic, synthesize the information you find, evaluate your sources, avoid plagiarism, and more.
Listed below are links to select, excellent university writing centers in the United States. They include guides to all aspects of the writing process, discussions of writing in different disciplines, and help with grammar and punctuation, citing sources, and more.
- JHU Writing CenterCheck out their "Writing Resources" link. For one-on-one assistance, schedule an appointment online with a helpful Writing Center tutor.
- Dartmouth Writing ProgramDartmouth's "Online Writing Materials" for students, faculty, and tutors are very helpful.
- Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL)An extensive and helpful site. The "Grammar and Mechanics" section is particularly useful for all your emergency grammar questions.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Writer's HandbookThis online handbook is a useful tool that will help guide you through most of the stages of the research process.
- Emory University's Writing Center -- Grammar ResourcesScroll down to "Grammar, Usage, and Citation"
General Author Information
- CopyrightProvides info for teaching faculty and students. Covers fair use, multimedia, and related topics.
- Scholarly MetricsInformation on finding impact factors, h-indexes, and other productivity measures.