Learn the best methods to identify and utilize images in many fields of study
From Treatise on physiognomy. (Netherlands?, ca. 1790), courtesy of the National Library of Medicine.
- Finding and Using Images, Welch Medical LibraryTo help you with your learning and research, we have categorized a large collection of image and video databases according to different medical subjects, usage rights, and formats.
- Images from the History of MedicineImages illuminating the social and historical aspects of Medicine from the National Library of Medicine.
General Medicine and Consumer Health
- Health Education Assets LibraryA digital library of Creative Commons-licensed images, videos and tutorials related to the health sciences, including medicine, anatomy, and dentistry.
- Images in PubMed CentralSearch for words in image captions using the PMC Advanced Search Builder. From the All Fields pull down menu, choose Figure/Table Caption.
- National Institutes of Health Photo GalleriesLinks to all of the image resources from the National Institute of Health.
- National Library of MedicineOnline exhibits on a variety of health topics, including global public health, anatomy, portraits of biomedical scientists, historical medicine, and much more.
- Primal Pictures InteractiveContains complete anatomical 3D computer-generated models of human anatomy; includes animations, dynamic MRI, movie clips to supplement the 3D model and interactive quizzes.
- Gray's Anatomy OnlineAn online version of the 1918 edition, including over 1,200 illustrations.
- Bassett Collection of Stereoscopic Images of Human AnatomyCreative Commons-licensed photographs and matching diagrams of human anatomy.
Diseases and Conditions
- Hardin MD - Medical Pictures/Disease PicturesLinks to images of diseases and medical conditions from around the web.
- DermAtlasImages of dermatological conditions. Use is expressly limited to non-commercial, educational purposes.
- WebPath: The Internet Pathology LaboratoryIncludes over 1900 images of pathological conditions, as well as tutorials and exercises.
- Image Archive on the American Eugenics MovementIncludes digitized documents, drawings, pamphlets, charts, photographs, and more.
- Microbe LibraryThis site has a searchable database of images, videos and animations (just check the "images only" box at the top right) on microbes, viruses and bacteria.
- Public Health Image LibrarySearch for images from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.