Using R and Python
Download and Install R
Option 1: Install R in a personal computer:
You will need to install both R and RStudio in order to use RStudio. RStudio is an integrated development environment (IDE) for R and is more user-friendly for beginners.
- Downloading and Installing R - https://cran.r-project.org/
- Downloading and Installing RStudio - https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/ (Download “RStudio Desktop”, not “RStudio Server”)
- A detailed tutorial about how about install R and RStudio.
Option 2: Use RStudio online (RStudio Cloud):
You don't need to install R or RStudio in your computer. Go to RStudio Cloud and register a free account. You can also share your RStudio projects with others.
Update R and RStudio
How to Find Help?
- Troubleshoot in R by shelloren on RPubs, January 10, 2019: Some common errors and troubleshooting tips for beginners
- Troubleshooting and how to find help by Gergana on Coding Club, November 15, 2016: A tutorial to show people how to spot errors, get familiar with common errors and how to get help. In the end, there are some practices to test your knowledge.
- Stack Overflow: A platform for people to ask technical questions and find answers to them. Questions on this forum are not limited to R.
- RStudio Community: A Q&A forum for R users to ask R- or RStudio-related questions.
- Bioconductor Support: Bioconductor provides software written in R to analyze high-throughput genomic data and this forum provides support for its users.
- Cross Validated: A Q& A forum for questions related to statistics, machine learning, data analysis, data visualization and data mining. Questions on this forum are not limited to R.
Statistical consulting services at JHU:
- Biostatistics Center at School of Public Health: Provide statistics support to JHU faculty, staff and SPH graduate students. They have walk-in biostatistics consultations available online for several popular statistical software, such as R, SAS and STATA.
- Biostatistics, Epidemiology And Data management (BEAD) core: Provides statistics and data management support for JHU faculty. Sign up with their online intake form to start the process.
- Statistics support for Social Sciences and Behavioral Data by Bryce Corrigan, SNF Agora Institute at JHU. You can schedule an appointment with him using this form.