Consumer Health Information -- Information for patients and other laypeople
- Start with MedlinePlus.gov
- AccessMedicine is a database of respected medical textbooks, which can all be searched at once
- Your search will give you a list of book chapters about your topic
- To narrow your search, add another word to your search, or choose "Narrow by Topic"
Library Catalog -- Books
- Search the library catalog for books about the general topic, using words such as "environmental," "contamination," or "pollution"
- For example, here is a search for the phrase "environmental fate" in the TITLE
- Use the filters on the left to set the date range and other limits that you want
Library Home Page --> Guides by Topic (on the right)
- Earth and Environmental Sciences --> Handbooks and Background
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering --> Online Resources --> Chemical and Material Properties -->
CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics and Merck Index -- these give synonyms, molecular formula, where found, and other information
To find out what's in a database, click the little dot at the end of its name!
Sue Vazakas, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannon Simpson, email@example.com
Guides by Topic
Medicine, Nursing, and Other Health Professions
- Tabs include adverse effects, mechanisms of action, and PK/PD
- Databases listed under each tab also include those from government agencies such as CDC and NIH
- Use PubMed; you won't need EMBASE
- *Don't* use Google to find PubMed, or you won't be able to get to many of the full text of articles
- MeSH headings give you definitions!
Guides by Topic
Earth and Environmental Sciences --> Online Resources
- These databases have scholarly articles and some trade journal articles
- Start with GeoRef and Scopus, and also EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)
- Note the other tabs, which list additional databases
Medicine, Nursing, and Other Health Professions --> Drugs and Pharmacology
- Databases under the "mechanisms of action" tab include environmental fate and toxicity, especially the HSDB
Guides by Topic
Chemistry and Chemical Engineering --> Online Resources
- All databases under "Core" are journal articles
- Databases under "Chemical and Material Properties" are *not* journal articles
Librarians who can help with this:
- Jim Gillispie,GIS and Data Services on A Level, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yunshan Ye, Political Science Librarian, email@example.com
These gentlemen are both very smart and incredibly nice. Please send them a note as soon as you realize that you will need help!
Science news can be found in several places.
- General Science Full-text -- This database includes articles from scholarly and trade publications, including Science, Nature, and the New York Times
- ABI/INFORM -- This is a business database, which includes news about new products and other business-related topics
- Guides by Topic --> News and Newspapers -- The sources under "Core" are current U.S. newspapers
Guides by Topic --> Citing Sources --> APA
- Here are examples of how to cite articles, books and books chapters, reports, and more
- Remember that ONLINE sources require MORE information, such as date accessed
- Always err on the side of too much information rather than not enough; it's extremely important that your professors, readers, and future employers be able to find the information that you cite