French Language and Literature
Resources, both online and elsewhere, for the French language and literature.
Find Books on a Theme
- Any theme you can think of: women, animals, wine, mental illness, philosophy, medicine, ANYthing can be a Subject word.
- Search the library catalog and put a Keyword together with "in literature".
- You can do a Keyword search on the 2 components In the catalog. This is less precise, but often fruitful :
- title or author Keyword and theme Keyword
- Example: Stendhal and love
- You can also try:
- Google Books
- Browsing the shelves, looking at Tables of Content and Indexes.
- Google Scholar
Find Articles on Themes in Literary Works
- The MLA International Bibliography is your best database.
- Themes in works are Subjects, or Descriptors, in this database.
- There are other databases you can try too. Use a theme keyword as your search.
Search these reference collections
- For many authors there will be a volume in Cambridge Companions. Or cross search the entire archive.
- These volumes often discuss a theme.
- Oxford Scholarship Online is another cross-searchable database.
- LION has good basic information on writers and their works.
- The e-texts portion of LION is English-language works.
- But the criticism and reference components treat writers of many nationalities.
- Search the library catalog for handbooks (sometimes called an Encyclopedia, or Dictionary). These volumes often discuss themes.
- Another possiblity is the MLA series "Approaches to teaching".