Explore engineering articles, patents, standards, and other information.
Start with Background Information
Get an overview of your topic by searching textbooks and review articles.
- AccessEngineering -- Search across engineering reference books in all areas of engineering at the same time, including Marks’ Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers, Perry’s Chemical Engineers Handbook, Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers, and many more
-- It will tell you if the item mentions equations, or any standard or code
-- Your results may include videos, spreadsheets that you can fill values into, or other things:
- Synthesis Digital Library of Engineering and Computer Science -- Use these short ebooks to get an overview of subjects you need to learn about
Review Articles -- These are overviews of a topic, including its history and state of the art. They are longer than most articles, and have lots of references.
- Engineering -- Do a search in Compendex, and add the word "review" to the article TITLE
- Medicine and related topics -- Do a search in PubMed, and choose "review article" (top left, under "Publication Types")
- All topics: Annual Reviews
- Other databases -- Look to see if there are options for "document type" that include "review," or put the word "review" in the title