English and American Literature
The databases may require that you login with your JHED username and password. You will be able to access the databases anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
Online movie forums provide access to conversations surrounding film, ranging from popular discussion to intense debate. Many can be searched and viewed without creating an account. Here are a few places you may want to explore if you are interested in how people are chatting about The Tragedy of Macbeth (note: all reddit subthreads have a search feature):
- r/TrueFilm: A niche subreddit featuring threads on "cinema" over "popular movies." There are several threads on The Tragedy of Macbeth.
- r/movies: A popular subreddit meant to be an inclusive forum to discuss all aspects and all kinds of movies. Great for finding discussions on movie trailer releases and awards talk.
- r/A24: A fan community for A24, the movie studio that co-distributed the film with Apple. Contains fan art, memes, and discussion.
- Criterion Forum: This forum is for fans of the Criterion Collection. Criterion helps to restore and promote important and essential films from around the world. Here is the link to the thread on The Tragedy of Macbeth; the thread started on March 28, 2019.
- Letterboxd: A fan community for the discussion of film. Comments range from a simple "I like it!" to in-depth commentary.
Citing Social Media
Pro-Tip: Screen capture any social media example you intend to use for your research in case the post, thread, or parent account is deleted.
How do you cite content from social media sites? It will depend on the citation style you use (for instance, APA or MLA), but the following elements are needed:
- Author (the official account name)
- Date (date the social media post was published)
- Title & Necessary Descriptors (the first sentence of the post, including hashtags and emojis; info if a video or other media is attached)
- Source (the social platform AND the URL)
A24 [@A24]. (2021, Oct 24). Whence is that knocking? 🏰 #TheTragedyofMacbeth [Video attached] [Tweet]. Twitter. https://twitter.com/a24/status/1449736966027632645
A24 (@A24). 2021. "Whence is that knocking?" Twitter, October 24, 2021, 10am. https://twitter.com/a24/status/1449736966027632645.
@A24. "Whence is that knocking?" Emoji of castle. #TheTragedyofMacbeth [Video of movie trailer for Macbeth attached to tweet] ." Twitter, 24 Oct. 2021, 10 a.m., https://twitter.com/a24/status/1449736966027632645.
Clear as mud, right? Fortunately, we have a citation guide that will direct you to trusted online citation resources.
Social Media Research Methods
Shakespeare at the Cinema 🗡️— A24 (@A24) December 1, 2021
On December 5, A24 and @AppleTV present a free, one-day-only global @IMAX screening event for THE TRAGEDY OF MACBETH. Q&A to follow with Joel Coen & Frances McDormand, live-streamed across locations from AMC Lincoln Square.https://t.co/9KytzCKPHa pic.twitter.com/3baYKlmWcA
The Tragedy of Macbeth was released first in the cinema and then streamed exclusively through Apple. You may want to consider why the release of the movie privileged the in-person experience over streaming, and how the choice of a streaming service may impact access to the film.