Esri Software Access
ArcGIS Desktop is a suite of desktop GIS software, consisting of:
- ArcMap - used to view, analyze and edit 2D geospatial data and produce 2D maps;
- ArcScene - used to view and edit 3D geospatial data;
- ArcGlobe - used to view an edit global 3D geospatial data;
- ArcCatalog - used to manage geospatial data (such as editing metadata and organizing geodatabases).
Transitioning to ArcGIS Pro
While JHU Data Services continues to provide access and support for ArcGIS Desktop, we strongly recommend transitioning to ArcGIS Pro. ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.1, the latest version of the ArcGIS Desktop suite software, will be supported until March 2, 2026. However, Esri will no longer be releasing new features or enhancements for the software and will instead be focusing on ArcGIS Pro.
Several software must be installed prior to installing ArcGIS Desktop. Make sure you install the following:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 or later
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015–2019 Redistributable (x86) minimum version 14.22.27821
Checking Hardware Requirements
Before installing, make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements to run this software. Visit Esri's ArcGIS Desktop system requirements page. Note that the requirements will differ by version; select the version you plan to install, and click the link to run a diagnostic to check your computer's hardware.
Make sure your computer can run ArcGIS Desktop. Visit Esri's ArcGIS Desktop system requirements page.
Things to Know
- If you need to upgrade to a new version of ArcGIS Desktop, or are downloading it for the first time, download both the authorization file and desired software version. Download the Installation and Authorization Instructions below for step-by-step instructions.
- To authorize your current version of ArcGIS Desktop, download the authorization file. Download the Authorization Instructions below for step-by-step instructions.
- ArcGIS Desktop must be re-authorized every year in August. It is your responsibility to check back and download the new authorization file each year. This libguide will be updated with the new license file in mid-to-late July every year.
- Make sure your use of ArcGIS Desktop adheres to the use restrictions noted on our Important Policies page.
Authorization and Installation Files
|Authorization File (Required regardless of software version. Updated for 2023-2024.)||Click to download|
|ArcGIS Desktop 10.4||Click to download|
|ArcGIS Desktop 10.5||Click to download|
|ArcGIS Desktop 10.6||Click to download|
|ArcGIS Desktop 10.7||Click to download|
|ArcGIS Desktop 10.8||Click to download|