East Asian Studies
Resources for Qing Studies
Primary Sources in Print
Click here for a list of print primary sources from Qing Dynasty (1644-1912) that are in the library collections. Below are some highlights of the multi-volume sets, with links to corresponding catalog records:
- 清代軍機處隨手登記檔 (180v)
- 清代中南海档案 (30 v)
- 大清歷朝實錄 (41 v)
- 国家图书馆藏清代民国调查丛刊 (29 v)
- 明清史料 （甲，乙，丙， 戊， 己编）
- 清代新疆档案选辑 （91 v)
- 淸内務府檔案文獻匯編 (9 v)
- 清代台灣關係諭旨檔案彙編 (9 v)
- 清代外務部中外關係檔案史料叢編:中西關係卷 (3 v)
- 黑图档:康熙朝 (53 v)
Primary Sources Digital
Digitized Newspapers and Periodicals
- 上海图书馆近代图书近代期刊全文数据库-Full text Database of Late Qing and Republican Era Books and Magazines (1833-1949)
Our current subscription covers late Qing and Republican era books and magazines, but not Newspapers and Contemporary Periodicals.
- 申报（电子版）-Shenbao (1872-1949)
- Late Qing and Early Republican Era Newspapers
- 大成老旧刊全文全文数据库 Dacheng Old Journals Database
- Compilations of Chinese Medicine Periodicals (Brill)
- Chinese Women's Magazines in Late Qing and Early Republican Era (Open Access)
Digitized Book Collections
- 爱如生中国基本古籍数据库-Database of China Classics Ancient Books
- 爱如生中国(古代)方志库（初级，二集)-China Ancient Local Gazetteers (960-1949)
- 四库全书-Siku Quanshu Online
Needs to download the reader software on your computer first (link here).
- 漢籍全文資料庫Scripta Sinica
- [Click on 授权使用 to access]
- 內閣大庫檔案Grand Secretariat Archives
[Click on 授权使用 to access]
[We also own 清宫内务府造办档案总汇 55 volumes (digital file) Contact East Asian Studies Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org for information]
- 明實錄 朝鮮王朝實錄 清實錄 資料庫（open access)
The project was a cooperative effort between Academia Sinica of Taiwan and Korea (South) Committee for the Compilation of National History. It is full text searchable in 明實錄 朝鮮王朝實錄 清實錄.
明清妇女著作 (open access)
This online digital archive of Ming Qing Women's Writings currently contains digitized images of 161 collections of writings by women that are in the holdings of participating libraries (Harvard Yenching Library, Peking University Library, Sun Yat-sen University Library, National Library of China, East China Normal University Library).
Primary Sources in English
- Area Studies: China and Southeast Asia
A wide range of sources by Western travelers, diplomats, businessmen, missionaries on various aspects of history and culture of China and Southeast Asia from 17th to 20th century.
- Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange (in Nineteenth Century Collections Online)
Includes British Foreign Office, US Consular and diplomatic records, missionary and social-economic journals in relation to China, Japan, and other areas of Asia during the nineteenth century.
- China, America and the Pacific: Trade & Cultural Exchange
Includes an extensive range of archival material connected to the trading and cultural relationships that emerged between China, America and the Pacific region between the 18th and early 20th centuries. Manuscript sources, rare printed texts, visual images, objects and maps document this fascinating history.
- China: Culture and Society 1750-1929
Rare pamphlets from the Charles W. Watson Collection on East Asia, at Cornell University Library; one of the oldest and most distinctive collections of its kind, and a very rich source for research on China
Diplomacy and Political Secrets, 1860-1950
Hong Kong, Britain, and China 1841-1951
Imperial China and the West Part 1: 1815-1881
Imperial China and the West Part II: 1865-1905
Missionary, Sinology and Literary Periodicals 1817-1949
Records of Maritime Customs Records of China 1854-1949
- China: Trade, Politics, and Culture 1793-1980
Includes a wide range of manuscripts from government reports related to Chinese Maritime Custom Service to personal accounts of the Boxer War. Also includes missionary journals such as The Chinese Recorder, Light and Life Magazine, and The Land of Sinim: the North China Mission Quarterly Paper.
- Chinese Students Monthly Online
The Chinese Students’ Monthly is the first magazine published by Chinese students in the United States from 1906-1931. This publication became the official organ of the enlarged Chinese student organization: The Chinese Students’ Alliance in the US.
Missionary and Travel Sources
- Church Missionary Society Periodicals
Documenting missionary work from the 19th to the 21st century, the periodicals include news, journals and reports offering a unique perspective on global history and cultural encounter, including coverage of missionary work in China and other Asian areas.
- Church Missionary Society -- East Asia Missions
This collection contains the letter books, administrative material and other original papers (including those of individual missionaries) of the CMS missions in Japan and China and of the Church of England Zenana Missionary Society in India from the 1810s to the 1950s.
- Church Missionary Society -- Mission for Women
Included here are papers of the Society for Promoting Female Education in China, India and the East, the Zenana, Bible and Medical Mission and the Indian Female Normal School and Instruction Society, and various publications focusing on the CMS's missionary work among women, including India's Women and China's Daughters (1880-1957) and The Indian Female Evangelist (1872-1956).
- Medieval Travel Writing
Includes manuscripts of some of the most important works of European travel writing from the later medieval period. The chief focus is on journeys to central Asia and the Far East, including accounts of travel to Mongolia, Persia, India, China and South-East Asia.
- Missionary, Sinology and Literary Periodicals 1817-1949
Includes a collection of 17 English-language periodicals published in or about China during a period of over 130 years, extending from 1817 until the founding of the People’s Republic of China in 1949. This resource features a significant collection of articles and photos on the founding and development of Christian higher education in China, including the establishment and growth into prominence of such institutions as Yenching University, the University of Nanking, Ginling College, Shandong Christian University, Soochow University, St. John’s University, Shanghai Baptist College, and the Canton Christian College.
- Travel Writing, Spectacle, and World History
This resource brings together hundreds of accounts by women of their travels across the globe from the early 19th century to the late 20th century. Includes travel accounts to China and other Asian areas.
- Foreign Office Files for China, 1919-1980
- 1919-1929: Kuomintang, CCP and the Third International
- 1930-1937: The Long March, civil war in China and the Manchurian Crisis
- 1938-1948: Open Door, Japanese war and the seeds of communist victory
- 1949-1956: The Communist revolution
- 1957-1966: The Great Leap Forward
- 1967-1980: The Cultural Revolution
- Policing the Shanghai International Settlement, 1894-1945
These files represent a large portion of the archives of the British-run municipal police force based in Shanghai's former international settlement. This self-governing area was administered not by the Chinese but by the international group of merchants and bankers who paid the taxes and controlled the municipal council. The time period covered by these files extends from 1894 to 1945, and the most extensive coverage is provided by the special branch dossier files, which date from 1929-1945.
Books, Articles, Dissertations (Chinese and English)
Includes 10k+ ebooks published by major publishers in China covering various topics on contemporary and Republic Era China.
- CNKI中国学术期刊全文数据库-China Academic Journal Full Text Online(CAJ)
- CNKI中国学术辑刊全文数据库-China Monographic Series Full Text Online
- CNKI中国学术论文全文数据库-China Theses and Dissertations Database (2000-)