East Asian Studies
Explore library resources for East Asia related research.
General Sources on Diaspora/Migration
Tool: Catalyst Advanced Search
Technique: keyword (optional) +subject ("Chinese Diaspora", or "Chinese Foreign Countries", or "Asian American")
Samples: Routledge Handbook of the Chinese Diaspora
Finding Journal Articles
Article Search: search large library databases including Ebscohost, Proquest, Jstor, and open access Google Scholar for scholarly articles.
General Primary Sources
AM Explorer (Adam Mathews collections)
AM Research Methods (a teaching tool on researching primary sources)
Gale Primary Sources (Gale Primary Sources collections)
Sources on Asian Diaspora/Migration
General News Sources: US and West
- New York Times Digital Archive
- Wall Street Journal Digital Archive
- Financial Times Digital Archive
- Proquest US Newsstream
General News Sources: International
- Immigrations, Migrations, Refugees: Global Perspectives 1940-1996
Translated and English-language radio and television broadcasts, newspapers, periodicals, government documents and books providing global insight on immigration in the mid-to-late 20th century.
- Access World News Research Collection
This comprehensive news collection is ideal for exploring issues and events at the local, regional, national and international level. With over 8,000 sources, its diverse source types include print and online-only newspapers, blogs, newswires, journals, broadcast transcripts and videos. Use it to explore a specific event or to compare a wide variety of viewpoints on topics such as politics, business, health, sports, cultural activities and people.
- Japan Times Digital Archive
The oldest English-language newspaper in Japan by Japanese publishers, Japan Times maintained editorial independence for much of its history, though it was used by the government as a propaganda tool for Imperial Japan during World War II. The digital archive allows you to search the full text of all issues of The Japan Times published between March 1897 and 2017.
- South China Morning Post (HK) via Proquest 2017-present; 1993-present
- China English News Publications via Nexis Uni, including Caixin Global via Nexis Uni 2019-current; China Daily via Nexis Uni 2002-current
- Southeast Asian Newspapers
Southeast Asia in the late-Nineteenth and early-Twentieth centuries was largely and violently controlled by Western colonial powers, with most of the region divided among the British, French, Dutch, Spanish, and American empires, supplanted by a brief period of Japanese colonialism following the outbreak of war in Europe and the Pacific. The post-World War II era witnessed a series of revolutions as local leaders looked to regain independence from colonial powers. Decolonization efforts spread throughout the region, alongside turmoil and bloodshed, ultimately leaving the newly independent states in charge of their own political, economic, and social pathways for the first time in decades.
- Proquest International Newsstream
- China, America and Pacific： Migration and Immigration
Part of the database that covers trade and cultural exchanges between China and America, this section devotes to migration and immigration.
- Chinese Students Monthly Online
The Chinese Students’ Monthly is the first magazine published by Chinese students in the United States from 1906-1931. This publication became the official organ of the enlarged Chinese student organization: The Chinese Students’ Alliance in the US. During its publication, the periodical discussed all the important movements in China during that period of time: education, social, industrial, agricultural, political, and economical, etc.
- Densho: Japanese Internment (open access)
Archives of Japanese internment camps.
- Japanese American Relocation Camp Newspapers (1942-1944)
This collection, consisting of 25 individual titles, documents life in the internment camps.
- Rufu Shimpo (to come)
- Asian American Experience (to come)
- Ancestry Library
Ancestry Library lets you search public records for your biographical or genealogical research. Records from the US census, military, immigration, and vital records are available.
- Guide to Ethnic Heritage by National Archives
- China Exclusion Act: Primary documents in American History by Library of Congress
- Primary Source Spotlight: China Exclusion Act compiled by Primary Source Nexus
- Early Chinese Immigration to the US compiled by Digital Library of America
- ICPSR data on Asian American
Structured data sets related to Asian Americans. Require use of statistical data packages to open.
- Statista: the Statistical Portal
An easy to use statistical database.
Asian Language Sources
Chinese Language Sources
Duxiu is a major Chinese digital library that includes a couple of million digitized Chinese books. It has a strong coverage of out of print books published from 1950s up to 1990s, although it also covers earlier and later publications.
- CNKI Ebook Library
This ebook library covers mostly publications in recent years. It includes an excellent collection on Chinese diaspora.
- China Academic Journals Full text Database (CAJ)
This database covers most academic journals published in China.
- China Economy, Public Policy and Security Database
This database covers Chinese government and think tank reports. It includes annual reports on overseas Chinese.
- People's Daily (ren min ri bao)
This database includes the entire run of the most important newspaper in China.
Japanese Language Sources
- Yomidas Rikishikan
This database covers the entire run of the Japanese newspaper.