Biomedical Engineering and Design
Information specific to BME and BME/CBID design teams.
Save your time! Use these search techniques:
- Put quotation marks around PHRASES (two or more words), so that the words are searched together
--- Example: "machine learning"
- Put an asterisk at the end of words, so that you get all of the word endings
--- Example: high* = high, highs, higher, highest
- Start by putting your search words in the Title. If you get nothing, you can take them out of TITLE and move them to ANYWHERE.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
FDA's major topics are Food; Drugs; Medical Devices; Vaccines, Blood, and Biologics; Animal and Veterinary Products; Cosmetics; AND Radiation-emitting products.
- Johns Hopkins Health Library
This patient information site includes information about diseases and conditions, tests and procedures, recipes, nutrition, and prevention.
Get an overview of your topic by searching textbooks and review articles.
- AccessMedicine - A collection of medical textbooks (e.g., Current Diagnosis and Treatment; Harrison's Internal Medicine), with overviews of diseases and conditions, lab tests, drug information, images, and more
- AccessEngineering, and also Engineering and Technology - Collections of engineering textbooks, including several about device design
- Berry and Kohn's Operating Room Technique (2021, 14th ed.) -- Covers surgical technique, including instrumentation and equipment.
- Wheeless's Textbook of Orthopaedics (Duke University) -- NOTE: Always check a page's revision date to make sure that the information is not too old; some of the sections are older than others
Review Articles -- These are overviews of a topic, including its history and state of the art. They are longer than most articles, and have lots of references.
- Engineering -- Do a search in Compendex, and add the word "review" to the article TITLE
- Medicine and related topics -- Do a search in PubMed, and choose "review article" (on the left, under "Article Types")
DynaMed + Micromedex
- DynaMed and Micromedex is one single database that covers diseases/conditions and ICD codes, approaches to patients, drugs, devices, procedures, management, evaluation, guidelines, prevention, tools, and more
Look for books and media in "Catalyst," the library catalog.
Suggested books and standards, all online (all with the subject heading "Medical Instruments and Apparatus"):
Biomedical Engineering Handbook (2019; 4 volumes) [ONLY the Taylor-Francis link is the 4th edition]
Here are just a few of the public and private organizations for those involved in rehabilitation engineering:
- Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation
- Medical Device and Diagnostic Industry
- Medical Device Manufacturers Association (MDMA)
- National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (NCMRR)
- Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA)
- World Health Organization (WHO) Medical Devices Section