Biomedical Engineering and Design
Videos of Surgical Procedures
AccessMedicine -- This database of searchable medical textbooks also includes videos.
- Along the top, click on "Multimedia," and choose any of them
- The categories on the left include Diagnostic and Imaging Studies, and Procedural Videos
AVON (Academic Videos Online) -- Wide range of coverage. (We do not have access to all of them.)
- Videos in the areas of anesthesiology, cardiovascular, internal medicine, emergency medicine, family medicine, orthopedics, surgery, and pediatrics
- You must create an account using JHU email address -- Use Signin on the upper right
- JoMI is a "surgical video journal/virtual operating theatre that...film[s] and publish[es] surgical procedures performed by top teaching physicians
- JoMI has filmed at Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and other top institutions
- Article index is available here https://www.jomi.com/index/
JoVE Science Education -- These videos are about lab methods and protocols in STEM fields, including biology, chemistry, clinical skills, psychology, physics, and others.
- NEW (May 2021) -- JoVE Encyclopedia of Experiments, which give a choice of Biology or Cancer Research
-- Biology: fruit fly, worm, zebrafish
-- Cancer Research: breast cancer, lung cancer
- Engineering: Education -- These are core concepts in areas of Engineering, including Biomedical
- Engineering: Research -- These are narrower topics, in all areas of of Engineering
Kanopy -- A wide range of subjects.
- Use Chrome
- Click "Log In To JHU", enter your JHED ID, then press the SKIP button at the bottom of the page
- You do not need to register with your Google or Facebook account
- The specialties (including surgery) are listed on the left
- SAGES TV: Home of SAGES Surgical Video
- SAGES Video Atlas of Endoscopy
- Many of the videos do not show complete procedures, but show benign and malignant pathology viewed during endoscopy and other procedures
VideoGIE: an official video journal of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy -- Online-only, open access journal that publishes "original, peer-reviewed video case reports and case series of endoscopic procedures used in the study, diagnosis, and treatment of digestive diseases."
- Videos from 2000 to the present, from articles in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Video case reports, 2013-2017
- Look at this page for the complete list of videos
- They are listed from OLDEST to NEWEST
- The list of subjects is on the right
eMedTV -- This site is produced and managed by Clinaero, Inc., which is "a privately held software and services company." (Here is more information about who is producing these videos.)
- Not all of these videos are about surgical procedures, and some of them include animations instead of the real procedure
- If you use one of these videos, please ask one of your professors to review it, to make sure that it does show the current state of the art
- This site appears reputable, but again, please ask your prof or mentor to review the videos you're interested in using
AccessEngineering -- This database has just a few "case studies," including "rotator cuff repair" and "continuous blood pressure monitoring"