View this guide to find industry reports on your market sector within a country or geographic region. Consider broader or related categories. Global or regional reports may provide details by country.
Article and news databases provide more targeted and recent information on countries, companies, industries, products, marketing or ad campaigns, market share, trends, regulations, and developments.
Use the Articles and News or Key Databases pages to search in the core article and news databases for business.
Additional Resources in that List:
- Academic Search Ultimate
- Nexis Uni
- Access World News
- Proquest Newsstand International
- Press Reader
- PAIS Index
Click on the Advanced Search link in the JHU libraries' catalog to find books on international marketing, or your country or market.
Some Title or Subject searches:
- international marketing
- international market
- International business
- global market
- foreign trade
- export marketing
- International business enterprises -- marketing
- Marketing -- (specific country, region, or continent)
- Marketing research -- (subcategories followed by region, country, or continent)
Country Overviews or Profiles
Use profiles from multiple resources to get a comprehensive overview of a country, including demographics, culture, religion, history, economy, politics, government structure, infrastructure, and risks. Start with Economist Intelligence Unit.
- Economist Intelligence UnitStart with Country Reports, and Forecasts. Other services include World Investment Service; Viewswire (news); Industry Briefing; Country Risk Service; Country Commerce; Country Finance; Country Monitor; Business Briefings; Economist.com; Risk Briefing; CountryData; Market Indicators and Forecasts; CityData
- Encyclopaedia Britannica OnlineSince the Encyclopædia Britannica's founding in 1768, Britannica editors have gathered and organized information on thousands of topics.
- Passport GMIDEuromonitor International's data and analysis for markets, companies, countries, and consumers. Explore each category for unique content. U.S. and international coverage.
- CIA World FactbookThe free resource from the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities.
- globalEDGEThis web portal for international business information was created by the International Business Center at Michigan State University.
- Encyclopedia of Food and CultureOnline access via Gale Virtual Reference Library.
Covers food and food habits; 3 vol. set alphabetically organized by topic;Try your food item before searching by broader category, cultural group, or country.
The following resources help to assess risk in doing business with or within a country.
- Economist Intelligence UnitUse the Data tab in country profiles to assess political and economic risk.
- Fitch Connect (formerly BMI Research)Fitch Connect links macroeconomic, industry, risk, and financial market analysis, to help users gain policy, economic, security, and business insights across 24 industries and 200 global markets.
- Countrydata.comCountry risk ratings and forecasts for more than 150 countries include risk ratings and economic data from International Country Risk Guide, as well as forecasts, economic, political, geographic, and social data from Political Risk Services. CountryData is updated monthly and is the gateway to all current and historical data from The PRS Group.
- Political Risk YearbookTitle searches in Catalyst reveal different locations and call numbers for this 8-volume set, depending on the geographic region. View full records for volume holdings and editions. Current year is located in A-Level Reference. Covers economic stability and political risk by geographic region.
- globalEDGEglobalEDGE's risk ratings index for countries
Data and Statistics (Electronic Resources)
Log into these databases with your JHU (JHED) ID and password.
- Economist Intelligence UnitCountry analyses include data, forecasts and reports.
- Passport GMIDEuromonitor International's database of data and analysis for markets, companies, countries, and consumers. Explore each category for unique content. U.S. and international coverage.
- StatistaData, statistics, outlooks, reports and survey results on countries, consumers and over 80,000 topics from Statista.com and other sources. Create account within using your university e-mail address to save or customize work.
- IHS Markit ConnectCurrent and historical data series contain economic, industrial, financial, and demographic information for countries and regions.
- IMF eLibrary DataAccess the International Monetary Fund's authoritative, harmonized, global statistical databases, including Balance of Payments (BOP), Direction of Trade (DOT), Government Finance Statistics (GFS) and International Financial Statistics (IFS).
- OECD iLibraryOnline library of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), comprising all OECD monographs and reports; periodicals; and the OECD statistical databases, including those of the International Energy Agency. Subjects covered include agriculture, banking, economics, education, energy, foreign investment, health, labor, migration, science and technology, telecommunications, and trade.
- Global Financial DevelopmentIncludes a comprehensive set of tables with statistical data for 136 countries that report debt under the World Bank Debtor Reporting System, as well as summarized data for regions and income groups. It contains data on total external debt stocks and flows, aggregates, and key debt ratios, and provides a detailed, country-by-country picture of debt.
- World Bank E-LibraryFull-text publications by the World Bank
- World Development IndicatorsFrom the World Bank and its partners, World Development Indicators (WDI) is the statistical benchmark that helps measure the progress of development. The print format includes more than 800 indicators in over 90 tables organized in 6 sections: World View, People, Environment, Economy, States and Markets, and Global Links.
- Statistical InsightSearches abstracts or tables of government or business publications, particularly industry-specific resources. Present document number to the data center's staff to obtain full document, if not online. U.S. information could provide global statistics or list companies that do business in other countries.
- DataPlanetA data aggregation tool from SAGE that allows you to create custom tables and charts for specific topics and geographic locations.
Data and Statistics (Print Resources)
The GIS and Data librarians, on A-level, can assist you in obtaining statistics, economic indicators, demographic data and other information released by the U.S. government or the country.
Official publications of foreign countries will identify credible sources that the country provides.
Yearbooks, statistical abstracts, and compendia released by a country may be available in print, online or on microfilm. Consult with librarians to locate.
Try these print reference books to locate statistics and rankings, now available in online format:
Statistical Abstract of the United States
Also available in print.
Business Rankings Annual
(company and industry rankings)
current online in Gale Directory Library
Market Share Reporter
(company and industry rankings)
current online in Gale Directory Library
Statistics sources: a subject guide to data on industrial, business, social, educational, financial, and other topics for the United States and internationally
(online in Gale Directory Library)
Perform a web search for embassies, government agencies, offices of official statistics, or departments of labor or commerce for your country. They provide information to businesses that seek opportunities in that location.
View the Consumer Expenditure Survey, Consumer Price Index, and other statistical resources for foreign countries, international business, trade, economics, transportation, and other topics through this page for Statistics.
- Department of CommerceLink to market guides by country, industry information, and trade statistics.
- ITA Export Solutions (formerly Export.gov)Free registration provides access to market reports, distributors, contacts, trade show details, news, and other country-specific and industry information.
- Survey of Current BusinessFull-text monthly periodical contains current and historical economic indicators, gross domestic product (GDP), income, consumer price index, production.
- U.S. Bureau of Industry and SecurityThis bureau of the U.S. Department of Commerce is responsible for implementing and enforcing the Export Administration Regulations, which regulate the export and re-export of most commercial items.
- U.S. Small Business Administration's Office of International TradeThe mission of this office is to enhance the ability of small businesses to compete in the global marketplace; facilitate access to capital to support international trade; ensure that the interests of small business are considered and reflected in trade negotiations; and support and contribute to the U.S. Government's international agenda
- Statistical Abstract of the United StatesBasic source for a wide variety of statistics and data from the U.S. Census Bureau and other federal agencies and private organizations. Contains statistics on social and economic conditions in the United States and selected international data. Use the Index pages to find topics and the corresponding table numbers.